Sunday, January 6, 2013

Horsey Happiness

GunSmoke Olena "Doc"

Sometimes a great horse comes around once in a lifetime. I have had several awesome steeds that have left hoof prints on my heart. (The one I have now 'Lady' left some on my ribs).
Doc was my dads head horse, then became heel horse. But when he started tracking calves on him, his blonde haired daughter stole him to have the ride of her life. Breakaway, goats, barrels. You name it, Doc excelled. His heart and try is BIG. He would get mad at me for not catching the calf or steer because he undoubtedly did his job. Dad started him on barrels just playing, but the first Barrel race we went to over the 4th of July went to he spanked 300 gals and we won first all 3 days. The same in the goat tying, when I had to ride him at the state finals because we lost my old goat horse. Taking me to Springfield IL. and on to college to rodeo for Coach Jim Watkins at Odessa college. 
I am truly blessed to have got to love Doc for 17 years and still. He is 23 now, But our Gypsy ways and the 30 hour trailer ride and Washington Pastures are hard on him. In order to keep loving him, I had to let go. We took him to Coach yesterday in Odessa. They are going to have to much fun roping the days away. It made my heart happy to see Coach on him, as he always loved Doc while I was in school, and he really enjoyed riding him yesterday with power steering engaged.  I have a feeling they will keep each other young, in the Big Sandy Arena and irrigated pasture. I missed Doc today at the barn, but know he is happy and loved by a great man that is a second father to us that we love dearly.
I hope that you are blessed with a great mentor and a great pony in your lifetime.








"Look back at our struggle for freedom
Trace our present day’s strength to its source
And you will find that man’s path to glory
Is strewn with the bones of the horse." ~Unknown


XO,
Lacy

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Loved your post. Tears for the love you have for DOC, for his wonderful heart and spirit, and for the gift of letting him live the rest of his life in comfort. Love the pics! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have this saying on the back of our cards at the ranch.. love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had a grey horse when I was little, that was undoubtedly the best horse he's ever had. And to this point even though I've had a mare that was my heart, he was mine too. He was wicked mean to other horses, actually bit through the withers on my sisters horse when we first got him. I started 4-H when I was 10 and started riding him even though my dad thought for sure he was too much horse for me. Well that old stinky grey horse Always took care of me. We formed an amazing bond, that even my dad never had with him. Used to make him mad when he had to ask me to catch him! He had So much heart and always tried, even if it was something like me making him be a jumper LOL. He lived to the ripe old age of 27-30(he wasn't reg). And I miss that old guy every day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Gals for Reading. He sounds like he loved you too Amanda. Funny Doc didnt like to be caught either but would follow me around. They sure do leave a mark on your heart.

    ReplyDelete